Tooth loss doesn't have to change your appearance forever. In fact, several types of dentures can restore your smile. The dentists at Upwards Dental, with offices at Biltmore Avenue and Chestnut Street in Asheville, NC, and in Hendersonville, can help you evaluate your denture choices.
What types of dentures are best?
The right type of dentures for you depends on several factors, including the number of teeth you've lost and your budget. Denture types include:
- Full Dentures: Consisting of a row of artificial teeth attached to a pink base, full dentures are an excellent solution if you've lost all your upper or lower teeth. You receive them after your mouth has healed completely following tooth extractions. Full dentures look natural and are molded to fit the ridges in your mouth for a comfortable, secure fit.
- Immediate Dentures: Immediate dentures look just like full dentures, but you receive them as soon as your teeth are extracted in an Asheville or Hendersonville dental office. Placing dentures in your mouth immediately helps control bleeding and may make it a little easier to adjust to speaking and chewing while wearing the appliances. The healing process will cause changes in your mouth in the months after your teeth are extracted, which will affect the fit of your dentures. You may need to eventually replace them with full dentures or have them relined or rebased.
- Overdentures: Overdentures fit over remnants of teeth with healthy roots. Although keeping the remnants may not seem important, the roots help keep your jawbone strong.
- Partial Dentures: Partial dentures are a good idea if you've lost several teeth in a row. Small hooks on either side of the denture slip over your teeth and hold it in place.
- Implant-Supported Dentures: The newest denture option is connected to dental implants or to a metal framework attached to implants. Dental implants are synthetic roots that bond to your jawbone. Implant-supported dentures don't significantly change your biting power and may be more comfortable than other types of dentures.
Are you ready to improve your smile with dentures? Schedule an appointment with your Asheville, NC, dentists at Upwards Dental by calling (828) 251-1399 for the Biltmore Avenue office, (828) 251-5800 for the Chestnut Street office, or (828) 595-9177 for the Hendersonville office.